Permits & Planning

Conservation Sudbury conserves and protects natural resources in our three watersheds for the benefit of everyone. We believe that sound land use and municipal planning are critical to protecting our land and waters, our communities and our local economy. It is also essential to preventing the loss of life and property damage due to flooding and erosion. As part of this mandate, Conservation Sudbury:

  • Regulates development in and along environmentally sensitive areas such as floodplains, steep slopes, wetlands, shorelines and waterways (Ontario Regulation 156/06 — Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation)
  • Reviews development proposals (municipal plan / Planning Act review) within or adjacent to regulated areas pertaining to the conservation and management of watershed resources and applicable provincial policies and guidelines. In most instances this involvement is required as a result of regulations passed under the authority of Ontario's Planning Act and by Provincially delegated responsibility for the management of natural hazards via the Conservation Authorities Act.
  • Conservation Sudbury endeavors to issue permits within best practice timelines established by Conservation Ontario.  Conservation Sudbury will annually published the timelines for permits. The 2022 report is available here

illegal dumping - Conservation SudburyWhy?

  • Reduces the risk to life and property from natural hazards such as flooding and unstable slopes.
  • Complement flood control operations and flood warning.
  • Proactive vs. reactive approach to resource management; promotes wise use of water and land resources for future generations; ensures wise use of scarce dollars.
  • Keep the public informed about the importance of and dangers related to natural heritage resources throughout the watershed.

Who benefits?

  • The general public.
  • Advocacy groups, ratepayers.
  • Landowners and developers.
  • Municipal government agencies (i.e. Planning, Building Controls, Committee of Adjustment, Engineering, etc.)
  • Lawyers and real estate agents.
  • Other senior level government agencies
    (MNR, MOE, DFO).

A variety of applications, forms and documents are made available here for your convenience. Please use our Contact Form


Report A Spill

Call the Spills Action Centre 1-800-268-6060

Changes to the Federal Fisheries Act

On November 25, 2013, amendments to the Fisheries Act came into force.

For more visit Fisheries and Oceans Canada.