Community Builder Awards of Excellence -
Last year, we were honoured to be declared the winner of the 2012 Community Builders Award of Excellence in the Environment category.
The Nickel District Conservation Authority received this award based on the many environmental projects we have been involved with since our foundation in 1973.
These projects include:
- Management of the Lake Laurentian Conservation Area, 2,415 acres of green space established by local citizens in the 1960's. The conservation area features nature trails, wetland areas hiking trails, bird-watching areas, and snowshoeing and cross-country ski trails which are actively used by citizens and visitors to the city.
- The development of the Municipal Drinking Water Source Protection Plan.
- The NDCA leads the Greater Sudbury Climate Change Consortium.
- Provides a variety of ecological related education programs in both English and French.
- Operates Camp Bitobig, an environmental, outdoor day camp for children.
- Established the Friends of Lake Laurentian in October of 2011.
We are grateful to have received this award. We could not have achieved this without the the hard work of our staff, volunteers and community partners.